Who We Are
Who We Are
As specialist renovation builders, we only work with older homes. We have an extensive understanding of the technical building methods and different cosmetic finishes found in period homes across Melbourne and we have the skills and experience required to fix them. We expertly repair, enhance, and extend Victorian-era terrace houses; we extend and bring tired California Bungalow weatherboards back to life by reinstating their original period features; and we modernise, reconfigure, and extend dated 1970s brick veneers.
Some of the renovation-specific skills we employ when working with older homes are:
- Knowing how to remediate, strengthen, and bond old brittle house structures to new concrete slabs
- Correctly connecting new walls to existing walls to avoid differential movement and cracking
- Levelling and straightening old floors to blend neatly with new floors
- Identifying the structural repairs required to improve the liveability of existing buildings and prolong their lives
- Being able to recreate period features, such as verandah fretwork, tessellated tiles, corbels, and cornices from old photographs and historical drawings
- Creating harmonious junctions between old and new, and blending modern architectural extensions seamlessly with the period features of the original home
- Selecting energy-efficient products and materials that suit the character of the original building while enhancing its thermal performance and energy efficiency
- Providing sensible, balanced advice on which parts of a home are fixable, and which parts warrant demolition
We love building extensions and renovations. In fact, it’s all we do.
We‘re a small domestic building business with more than ten years’ experience in residential construction. What sets our company apart, and the reason our clients choose us to renovate or extend their home, is that we do one house at a time, from start to completion.
Our difference is our carpentry-based focus, small company structure and hands-on approach.
We love our hands-on work and choose to keep our building and carpentry work in-house and minimise the use of external contractor crews. To some builders this is an old-fashioned approach, but our clients will attest to the quality and efficiency of work it produces.
Our daily on-site management means we:
This means that we are selective in the amount of work we take on at any one time and it ensures that we can give our full attention to every project from start to finish. This also means we complete projects with the utmost efficiency. Because we are on site every day, things move very quickly. A large, 60m2 weatherboard home extension typically takes us around 10-13 weeks from start to final handover. This means you are back in your home much sooner than if you were to use a builder who manages the work off-site with contract labour.
Northern Building & Carpentry Pty Ltd holds:
- Domestic Builder (Unlimited) registration with the Victorian Building Authority (registration number CDB-U 64531)
- HIA membership (member number 1260100)
- Domestic Building Insurance eligibility
- Construction works insurance
- Workcover insurance
Please get in touch via the Contact page to discuss your extension or renovation project.